Monday, June 29, 2015

Smile, But Don't Nod

I recently had a political/religious conversation with a new friend. She shared her views, and I put on my best clergy spouse smile and tried to fully engage the conversation.

The thing is: we aren't close. We could be someday, but we haven't known each other long enough and this was our first conversation of depth. Unfortunately, (unbeknownst to her when she brought it up I think) it was a topic that we weren't going to see eye to eye on.

I really like this person. I really want to be real friends. I want to have conversations of depth with her. This was not the conversation though in which my well thought out opinions were going to have any impact on her. We just aren't at that level of friendship (yet?). I graciously listened to her. I spoke my mind about things I find to be "interesting," but didn't give a direct response (which she didn't ask for) on my political or religious view on the topic.

I got home and told Chris about the conversation and imagine that this is how her conversation with her husband went:

Her: I talked to Casey about {topic} for a while today.
Him: What did she say?
Her: Not much, now that I think of it...
Him: Then she probably disagrees with you and was being polite.
Her: Do you think so? But she's a Christian. She's the pastor's wife!
Him: What denomination are they?
Her: Uhhh... I don't remember... she calls him a priest though...
Him: Episcopalian?
Her: Yes! That's it!
Him: She's Episcopalian? What kind of car does she drive? Does she shave her legs?
Her: Huh. She has a Prius, and I'll have to check out her legs next time I see her.
Him: Honey, believe me, she definitely doesn't agree and was just being polite.

The day I bought the Prius!
I hope we end up good friends anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment