Monday, September 8, 2014

The Gospel According to Dooney

When I was in the fifth grade Dooney and Bourke purses were a big deal. I mean, a big deal in the way that young girls can make a purse a big deal: you had one or you didn't. You were in or you were out. Auf wiedersehen. Pack up your things and go. Out.

Who the hell gives a fifth grader a couple hundred dollar purse?! 

I, of course, did not own a D&B purse. I was not a stage five clinger to the cool kids, but I did envy their obviously expensive and beautiful purses. I was wise enough to know, however, that there was no way in hell my parents were going to buy me one and carefully selected a twenty dollar knockoff bought with my own money on an outing to Baker's shoes. I was happy with my enormous blue purse and filled it with all of the important things that go into a fifth grader's purse: a brush, chapstick, and school supplies.

Then, one day, it happened. My aunt gifted me her old Dooney and Burke purse. It wasn't like all of the other girls' purses: it was an older model with a few miles on it, but it still ran beautifully. I could barely contain my excitement. I couldn't stop staring at it. This purse wasn't just a purse. It was a key to a whole new level of cool. I was in.

I remember bringing my new purse to school the next day. I slung my overladen backpack onto one shoulder (because wearing it on both shoulders was a major faux pas second only to tucking your sweatshirt into your underwear). I carefully placed the purse across my body from one shoulder. There. Perfect. I spent the whole day at school carefully unzipping and reclosing my new purse in order to maximize its coolness potential. Oh, you need to borrow a pencil? Here, just let me open my Dooooonnneeey.

Later on that afternoon in the carpool line (who buys a couple hundred dollar purse for kids young enough to be in a carpool line?!) I overheard some of the 'cool' girls talking. A few down the nose glances were pitched my way. A few not so hidden sneers at my purse. And that's when it really hit me in a life changing way: all that shit doesn't matter. 

I glanced down at my prized possession seeing it with new eyes. That traitor. Purse, I was told you would make me cool, what the hell happened back there?! I knew deep down in my gut that it wasn't the purse that was the problem. It wasn't me that was the problem. It was then that I fully realized in a life-altering way that what my parents had always been teaching me was true. I just had to be myself. If I tried keeping up with the Joneses, I would spend my whole life just pedaling to keep up. I like me. Why the hell shouldn't other people like me? I like me. So who even cares if other people like me?

Yesterday I went to a parents' orientation at C's school. I clearly stood out from the other moms in the classroom. My pineapple tee, blue suede shoes, old man glasses, and purse made from a leftover bit of a man's Turkish turban (how cool is that?!) clearly set me apart as different from the other moms. I felt like Olivia, "Why do they all want to be the same?" All of the other moms appeared to have been cut from the same cloth. I remember them as merely a blur of big hair and matching bedazzled purses. I felt good in my outfit, happy I'd chosen something that I like regardless of it's cool factor. 

At the reception I entered the room only to find that everyone was already grouped. I didn't recognize one face in the room. Had Luke Brandon been there with his parents I would have rushed over and thanked him for loaning me the 20 quid, but alas, not one familiar face was to be found. I stood on the edge a few minutes, considered hitting up the dessert table just for something to do, and then retreated to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and Kellyed* myself up: I stood up a little straighter, ran my fingers through my hair, and reapplied my lipstick. I marched out of the bathroom ready to make some friends and headed straight back toward the reception.

And then I thought, "aw screw em," plopped down on a nearby bench, pulled out my knitting, and enjoyed watching the rain.





*The use of Kelly's name as a verb meaning, basically, to pull yourself up by the bootstraps. To look in the mirror, like who you see, and expect other people to like you too.

6 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!!! And as Trent recently pointed out: if you try to fit in instead of being yourself, there will still be other people in the world doing their own thing. You'll see them and feel miserable. I love you just as you are (Mark Darcy style).

    And FABULOUS new verb! Brought tears to my eyes, which I will wipe away in order to get the iron out to iron my stack of Oxford shirts for the week. Parents night at the elem school and I was definitely the only mom in my clothes, but I never felt better.

    And to paraphrase Beth Moore- You recognize that there are easier ways to live, but you were made for nothing less.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And wait, what purse are you talking about? The turban purse, I mean. Can I have it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. It's red and white checks - Cinn got it for me when she was in Turkey.

      Delete
  3. I love this! I think you're awesome as-is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ladies are awesome! We're about to move to San Antonio, and so I'll soon be the new mom among the moms who know each other and know "the rules" of fitting in there. I now feel ready to Kelly myself up and smile being me. xoxo

    ReplyDelete