Thursday, December 18, 2014

Beau Brummelly

Earlier this week Nils and I went shopping in hopes of finding something cute for the kids to wear to church for Christmas. A relatively new mom of two, I had visions of each store displaying tons of cute matching holiday finery which I would have to narrow down for C&N. After years of my sister's complaints that there is "nothing nice for boys" you would think I would have known better.

Nils and I braved Katy Mills in the height of Christmas season and came out with... pajamas. There are racks and racks of girls' Christmas dresses and then just t-shirts for boys. T-shirts? I can just picture our family photos now: all of us standing together at church in our Christmas finery. Chris in his big chasuble, my new hat, Carolena's fluffy dress, and Nils... in a t-shirt with a reindeer pooping on it.

What I want is to walk into the Gap, or Old Navy, or Target and see a display of nice Christmas clothes all together. Matching sweater dresses and sweaters (or sweater vests). Oxford shirts for boys. Slacks. And don't even get me started on the selection of boys' church shoes. This doesn't seem complicated.

Instead... The Gap had girls' sweater dresses and boys' t-shirts together. And sweatpants! This was all on the same center display - girls' dresses, boys' tees and sweatpants. What kind of a guy wears a tee and sweatpants when the girl he's with is wearing a dress? A guy who lives in his parents' basement planning the murders of innocent neighborhood cats... that's who.

Old Navy had a girls' Christmas dresses and the nicest thing they had for boys were flannel lumber jack shirts and skull sweaters. Nice. Maybe Old Navy is the one actually catering to the murderous male?

Next year I'm just going to knit a matching dress and sweater for these guys. I'll have to start in July to get it done, but oh, it will be worth it. This year, I am going to dig through Kelly's kids' hand-me-downs and doll Nils up in something Williams-worthy (which means it will be preppy and adorable).

No comments:

Post a Comment