Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

My stand mixer is broken. THE mixer from my viking grandfather's kitchen. THE mixer that made the julekake for our family every year, including the year I actually got to participate in the day-long kneading and rising and baking event! *sigh* Of course it broke right at the cusp of the busiest mixing season. Luckily, Chris is pretty handy and is (in theory, if he remembers, *cough*cough*) researching and ordering parts.

Nils is home from school with a virus running rampant through his class. He isn't contagious (remember last week's mystery fever?) but he is now home with a mom who was planning to use those school hours to study. Soooo... that's interesting.

I had a check up with my neurologist and came home with good news and bad. Which do you want first? The bad. I've been hesitant to post this news lest it be on the internet and thus become "real news" (ha!) as it turns out... drum roll for bad news please... as of now I am a tea total-er. It has been confirmed. Moment of silence for the death of casey's mint juleps please.

Okay, okay, so it isn't THAT bad. But kind of. For now, I'm completely off alcohol. Geeze, have two kids, finish with pregnancy, and have to stop drinking... how's that for some luck? We established that alcohol is indeed now a trigger for me and he said that it is up to me to determine which alcohols (if any) I can drink. If I choose I can go back to the whole "determining a trigger" diary-keeping and see what happens through trial and error. Given the drinks I've had in the last few months and their next day terrible ill-effects, drinking any alcohol sounds awful and for now I'm going to come to grips with the fact that it's a trigger and stick with S. Pellegrino. All that is to say, I've already been doing my "determine a trigger" work and so far all alcohol gets the axe. That's the bad news. Please don't do the whole thing where you grill me on this looking for a solution, "have you tried champagne? bourbon? white wine?" Yes. This isn't a sudden rash decision. This has been established with a doctor over a long time. Don't try to solve this. You'll just stress me out and stress is another big trigger for my migraines. Soooo... just feel bad for me (or don't) and pass me some gatorade, because...

The good news is that I asked him about how I keep getting dizzy when I work out (another thing I have probably conveniently "forgotten" to mention) which I assumed was a side affect of my drug. He said that there is a chance that my dizziness when exercising is due to my anti-migraine med, but that looking at my blood-pressure he thinks it is more likely I need to (in his words) "start drinking Gatorade." He thinks I have just gotten my blood pressure down so low that his guess is that I'm getting dizzy 45 minutes into my workouts because I need more electrolytes. So there you have it. No more juleps. More Riptide Rush. That's the good news. In theory Gatorade will fix that problem and I'll be back doing mountain climbers in bootcamp any day now. Plus, I have great blood pressure. So, hooray for that.

That's the good and the bad. Hmmm... the ugly? Well, it's "migraine season." Stupid weather. Pick a temperature!

Well, it's almost 9am and I'm in pajamas while Aunt Panasonic and Daniel Tiger are babysitting. THAT's also the ugly. Perhaps I should get dressed and go to the grocery store. I'm bad (or "good" I think) about letting the cupboard get pretty bare. So a trip to the store is a must today. At the very least apparently we need Gatorade.

No comments:

Post a Comment