Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Ashes to Ashes

It's coming... one of the hardest decisions we liturgical church goers have to face...  {cue overly dramatic music here} Wipe the ashes off or keep them on?

Like many things, I have a very strong opinion about this. Do what you want. Do what's best for you. But it's my blog and I'll theologize if I want to, theologize if I want to. You would theologize too if it...

Ah, the great contradiction of Ash Wednesday: the smearing of ashes on our foreheads while listening to the gospel reading about how those who are fasting should wear clean clothes, anoint themselves with oils, and basically look like they've got it together.

But this isn't a contradiction. It's a command. A command that many of us ignore.

Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be praised by them...
Well, after you read what I have to say you'll know I'm not saying it for praise. Come tomorrow afternoon when you see people around town and facebook with ashes smeered on their faces you'll see that many people disagree with what I have to say. Nope, no praise seeking here. An unfortunate smattering of judgement to be sure, but praise seeking I hope not.

When friends notice that I wipe my ashes off before leaving church they often question me in a somewhat aggressive manner. They usually press me on the topic by claiming that leaving ashes on the forehead is a good witness to others. It strikes me as funny that people feel so strongly about the "witness" of leaving ashes on their heads. Do these people care about "witness" any other day of the year? Okay, yes, people will notice. They might ask you about it. Yes, wearing ashes on ones face might strike up a conversation. However, I would say that misses the point of the imposition of ashes. There is a reason why we hear that particular gospel reading right after receiving the ashes. Because we're supposed to respond to it!

I think that the value in the imposition of ashes is in the receiving of ashes. It's not about wearing the ashes. It's about the action of kneeling at the altar and hearing those words, "you are dust and to dust you shall return." Then, we return to our pews. We hear that gospel reading instructing us to not smear dirt on our faces and strut around town. We kneel and confess our sins to God our maker. We receive the body and blood of Christ.

And I wipe the ashes off my head. Yes, I have been reminded of my own mortality. But then I am reminded of grace and hope and newness of life. Yes, I am mortal. I am dust and to dust I shall return. But I am a person of the Resurrection which means that in the newness of all things, the renewal of heaven and earth, I will Rise out of the ashes.

This, as a side note, is my problem with the Ashes to Go movement. No Eucharist? No reminder of the Resurrection at the end of all this? Just "you are dust and to dust you shall return"? What is Christianity without Christ? Without Resurrection? Perhaps I'm missing something in the ashes to go? And what about the whole command to do this kind of thing in secret? But that's a hot topic for another day.

I think witness to the world has little to do with dirt on our faces. It is about living in such a way that points to the victory of the cross. Serving others rather than self, lending a hand to those in need, putting Christ and his church at the center of our lives, to me these are the things that witness our faith. Smearing ashes on my forehead is something that I need to do each year. But I do it for me. It is a physical reminder of the harsh cold reality that I am dust. I was created and I will die. That reality isn't what I center my life around though. I live my life in the hope and joy and truth that I will live again. That we will rise up out of these ashes and live a new life with the Resurrected Christ.

So sure, you can keep the ashes. I think there can be value in that for some. But I'm going to wipe mine off.




“Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven. So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you. And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you. When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. Pray then in this way: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one. For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you" (Matt 6:1-21)

4 comments:

  1. I honestly cannot believe you purposely wipe off your ashes. I'm speechless. Also, I disagree with so much of what you said, yet I know are actual beliefs are very similar. Go Episcopal Church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not writing this in a mean tone - What is there to disagree with? The Gospel clearly states that we should wipe them off. Every year people want to talk about this and I honestly don't get it. How can you hear Matthew and then walk around with ashes on your head telling people about how you're going to fast for forty days? Again, not written in mean tone - written in bafflement.

      Delete
  2. How is blogging about what you do for Lent not practicing your piety before men...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is.
      Why is that tape on your nose? Exactly.

      Delete