Thursday, January 21, 2016

Care for Another Cup?

When we lived in DC we received many more visitors than we do living in Katy. We knew even then that people were visiting for a free place to stay. One such couple came to DC and Chris took them on a whirlwind tour of our nation's capitol. One of the visitors was full of questions like, "what's that building?" (while looking at the capitol) and "I don't know about that war" when standing at the WWII monument.

This is a college graduate.

And yes, evidently I'm extremely judgmental about people in their twenties who don't recognize the capitol building while standing on the national mall or even know enough to keep it to themselves if the details of WWII seem a bit hazy.

So, I confess: I know nothing about Voltaire except his name. Is this someone I should know more about than just his name? At least I recognize the name. I feel like I'm standing at the White House asking if its important. Okay, not that bad. But I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to know more about Voltaire.

Why do I suddenly bring him up?

Last night as I was reading The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin I came across and interesting tidbit. And then I went to wikipedia to confirm:
Voltaire was also known to have been an advocate for coffee, as he was reported to have drunk it 50–72 times per day. It has been suggested that high amounts of caffeine acted as a mental stimulant to his creativity (Wikipedia)

Um. I love him.

Maybe that's what people will say about me someday. "Casey was known to be an advocate for coffee, as she was reported to have drunk it 50-100 times per day. It has been suggested that high amounts of caffeine acted as a mental stimulant to her creativity, feats of strength, patience in motherhood, circus contortionist acts, and pirating the high seas."

1 comment:

  1. Ah, that is hilarious. So if we assume that a cup size then is the equivalent of how many now- 4...? Do the math and we are wellll on our way!

    ReplyDelete