Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Itcy and Scratchy Show

When I hit rock bottom with my migraines it was pretty damn low. I don't even really want to talk about it. It was bad. Really bad. Only Chris knows a glimpse into how bad.

And now... I cry in relief and joy and thanksgiving. My life is... oh no... here come the waterworks... my life is so different now.

Why didn't I see a neurologist earlier? Okay, I can't dwell in the past. But I can say that in the past I didn't feel well pretty much every single day. A crunchy neck (migrainey - not like a sore neck from sleeping weird. It's different), a headache running across one side, pain behind an eye, feeling worn out for not apparent reason - these were almost daily occurrences.

And now I feel good - great - every single day.

Back then I was bed ridden once a week (give or take - sometimes less, sometimes more) for 24 hours (or sometimes more). I haven't been bedridden with a migraine since I started seeing a doctor for them. Knock on wood: not once. Okay, just once - but it was different. I chose to go to bed versus being unable to speak or get out of bed.

I could go on. Suffice to say, life is grand. Before seeing a neurologist I would say, "If I could get rid of these migraines I would do almost anything. I would chop off my leg to be done with them." Well, as it turns out... my legs are still in tact... but damn are they ever itchy.

I'm taking a daily medication to ward off migraines (I still get them, but now my response med is more affective thus my ability to not be bedridden). The daily med's number one side effect? Weight loss. To the point that it is being used as a weight loss drug for some.

How much weight have I lost in the months I've been on this drug? None. Zip. Nadda.

But wait! There's more! I did get two side effects! Two lesser known side effects of this drug? Extremely sensitive skin (awesome for someone who likes to get in the Gulf of Mexico. Just the clean shower water makes me want to freak out and rip my skin off. And shaving my legs? Forget about it. Yeah... let's blame that on the drug) and loss of feeling in my hands (double awesome for someone who loves to lift weights). But, that is (hopefully) the extent to which I will complain - because: WORTH IT.

I'M NOT HAVING LIFE COMPLICATING MAKING ME WANT TO DIE FROM THE PAIN WORSE THAN CHILDBIRTH NUMBER TEN ON THE PAIN SCALE MIGRAINES ANYMORE!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!! (I mean, technically I am - but you wouldn't know it because now my meds work) SOOOO HOOORRAYYYY!!!! THANK YOU GOD!!!!

But seriously... it couldn't have been the weight loss? Damn. I mean, really?
*sigh*
Worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment