Thursday, July 16, 2015

Minion Parrrtaayy

Birthday preparations are in full swing around here. Until about two weeks ago Carolena had plans for a birthday party at the beach. To pull off that fete I had planned to... uh... bake a cake. Yep, bake a cake... that's pretty much it. I'm sure I would have planned more but...

But construction at the beach house led me to second guess that party plan. And we were in fact at the beach with some of her cousins which was what she said she wanted to do for her party so I felt like she could check off that box. And I had lingering concerns that a four year old (who of course talks about birthdays all year round) wouldn't remember by January that a party at the beach with her cousins was the same thing as a bash with her friends. And last, but certainly most importantly, the beach house is under construction which is kind of a big deal if you want to have a party there. So, we punted and returned home. Punted and returned? Huh, that sounds kind of sporty... weird... I wonder if it is. Punted and returned. Punted and returned. That's fun to say.

Luckily, I grew up in a home with a mom who threw parties. Not big galas where a party planner came with a notebook and wandered around lighting candles and then people in tuxedos served horderves. I mean real parties, the kind where my mom did the actual inviting, and cooking, and cleaning. So, yeah, I know how to do that.

I sent out some emails and voila! People can come! We've got a party!

So, preparations are in full swing and I love it! A pinata is now hanging in the living room exciting all of us (well, at least me) every time we walk by. Carolena and I have had an arts and crafts explosion (yay!) and made minion paper chains and minion plastic eggs. We've sat together with cookbooks open and pens to paper day dreaming about what she could eat for her birthday (she's set on ice cream in cones with sprinkles. I'm convincing her people might need something more than just that).

And yes, the paper mache around here is going to get weird... it already has...


1 comment:

  1. Sounds absolutely AWESOME! It's so wonderful that you are embracing where you are now in life, your family can only blossom and benefit from all that you are and do. Yay Casey! ...and you're making me want to do something with paper mache...hmmm... intriguing...

    ReplyDelete