Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

Some people start Mother's Day by sleeping in late and enjoying breakfast in bed. Those mothers don't have husbands who go to work at the crack of dawn on Sundays.

Mother's Day: a day that begins with tossing dirty laundry into the washing machine, emptying the dishwasher, making a walmart list for an after church trip that unfortunately can't be put off, and strong coffee. Strong coffee.

All moms know that Mother's Day is a sham. Well, all smart moms know that. All the others are disappointed every year or just kidding themselves. I was smart enough to request a good steak and a glass of scotch for Mother's Day this year. I shall not be disappointed or disillusioned.  

I started off the day by finding two handmade cards by our coffee pot (smart place to put them Chris!). Carolena's finest work and Nils' first work! Chris gave him a marker and held the paper for him. My card from Carolena is fantastic and reads (transcribed by Daddy):
"I love you Mommy. I made a card for you. Crabs. Let's go to the beach. Let's go to Moom's house. Happy Mother's Day. Yay!"

A perfect card from my daughter who woke up this morning calling out, "Mommy hippopotamus? Where are you? I'm baby hippopotamus! Come find meeeee..." Who gave me a sincere hug and kiss this morning. Who radiates love and joy.

A perfect card from my son who woke up this morning calling out, "Mommmmmyyyy... come feeeeeddd meeee... I lovvveee youuuu..." (that's what it sounded like to me at least). Who gives me the most loving smiles that anyone has ever given me. Who radiates love and joy.

THAT is all I needed for this perfect Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment