Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I Called the Witch Doctor He Told Me What to Do

One of the things we talked about in my "witch doctors" meeting this week (known to the rest of the world as Weight Watchers) was how important it is to be positive. When we tell ourselves or others that we can't do something then we actually increase the likelihood that we will not in fact do the task. We were encouraged to spend time saying (to ourselves and out loud) I can.

I found it interesting that we discussed that in my meeting since this is something I have been working on lately on my own. I'm trying to give myself the same advice and admonitions that I give to my daughter. They take different forms at different times but here are some of the basic themes:

"You are very capable."

"You are a very smart girl."

"You need to try something before you say you can't do it."

"You need to try something before you say you don't like it."

"If you don't put your toys away, I will throw them in the trash."

"We're the kind of girls who go on adventures so that means we're just going get some bumps, scrapes, and bruises along the way."

"What if your viking ancestors could hear you whining/stressing about that? Shake it off. We come from a long line of strong women."
She'll be repeating this one to a therapist some day... but seriously, stop talking about the "little tiny baby hole" on your finger. The "little tiny baby hole" you are obsessing over doesn't even classify as a cut. And to myself I can say the same thing, "stop talking about the {fill in blank with a variety of things}..."

"You can do it! I know you can!"

This new and improved version of thinking positively has changed my life for the better over the course of the last month. I've started going to "the witch doctors," been to a ton of awesome group exercise classes, gained muscle, and lost fat. I have a new friend and workout buddy. My first obstacle run is just over a week away. As Kelly likes to say, "It's the new Jan Brady!"

1 comment:

  1. Beat me to the punch! I was going to say, "It's the new Jan Brady!"

    Great advice, btw.

    ReplyDelete