Monday, March 10, 2014

God Bless Texas

A few months ago I arrived at school to pick up Carolena. As per the usual, all of the moms who were there early and waiting were mothers of kids in C's class. When we all began to enter the classroom, the teacher said, "The mommies are here! Who's mommy is that?" as I entered the room first. Then, the most glorious fabulous magnificent thing happened. Little Carolena sat straight up on her nap mat and instead of saying something mundane like, "my mommy" she threw her arms open wide in welcome and called out in her loudest voice (sounding very much like Oprah), "It's Casssseeeyyyy Duunnncannn!!!"

Her teacher was impressed that Carolena knows my name. I told Mrs. M. that we taught Carolena our names just in case she ever gets separated from us. The teacher responded saying, "Wow! We don't teach them that until the spring. She's ahead of the curve. Just teach her where Daddy works too." So we did. And while we were at it we taught her that if she ever gets separated and can't find Mommy or Daddy to find another Mommy and tell her Daddy's name and where he works. Life skills.

Meanwhile, spring has sprung. What has Carolena learned at school thus far this semester? Well, thankfully she can finally recognize both the shape of Texas and the Texas flag, and says, "I love Texas!"

Our great state ranks among the bottom when it comes to education. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment