Sunday, April 14, 2013

Bow Mount or Transom?

My mother often uttered single phrases to us over the course of years. Every once in a while we would hear such profound questions as, "Would you do that if you were at the White House?" when we played with our food and sang at the dinner table. "Casey, boys don't pursue friendships" was a phrase I heard often when I would fret over whether or not the boy calling me all of the time actually "like liked" me or not. And, I think my siblings will also find this little gem familiar: "No one wakes up and says, 'I'm going to get in a terrible accident and die today."
  
Last night I stayed up awake for hours fretting over this blog. I had what Kelly's friends have deemed "the Sleepytime Saddies" - you know the feeling - when the sun goes down and suddenly everything else crashes beyond the horizon with it. It's sleepy-time, but you just stay awake feeling sad and/or confused.

Mainly, I felt creeped out. This blog has already had way more hits in way more countries than I wanted it to. My intention is for this blog to reach my friends and my family. There was only one explanation: TROLLERS.

Eventually I got out of bed and found the ZzzzQuil we'd stashed in the medicine cabinet. I took a swig and a few hours later, voila! Here I am on the old blogosphere.

With the morning sunshine and the memory that I do in fact have friends living in some of those countries who pinged this site (sheesh, doesn't everyone assume the worst?) I feel much better. Now, that isn't to say this blog might not suddenly cease to exist in the dead of night. Kids, no one wakes up and says, 'I'm going to get in a terrible accident and die today.' You'll wake up, have a nice cup of coffee, and sit down at your computer to "check the news." We all know what "news" you're really checking: email, Facebook, blogs. You'll hit up the old Becoming Leona site and BAM! your favorite site is gone. Just like that. "I only wish we'd had more time together!" you'll scream. You'll mutter in disdain, "{expletive of choice} you cdunk!" You'll frantically type and retype the web address. Finally, you'll slump in your chair, giving into the tears of frustration and the sad reality: it's gone.

My blog will have been hit by a MACK truck.

It could be tonight. It could be a year from now. It could be 30 years from now (although hopefully by then I won't blog because I'll just apparate or teleport and give you news face to face).

My point is this: when that day finally comes, don't blame me. Blame all those damn trollers in Germany... they're the ones who drove the truck.

2 comments:

  1. Foreshadowing? What are you saying here? I think you should be more worried about the fact that you regularly post on Facebook about being out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete