Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Age Before Beauty

First children have strict nap routines around which everything in the world revolves.
Second children... take naps. Ahem. Yeah, they take naps.

First children rip toys out of second children's hands.
Second children remember this and seek their revenge on younger children.
Second children remember this and also seek their revenge on the older child once they are both comfortably in their thirties. Bwa ha ha... excellent.

First children have tranquil cozy bedtime rituals.
Second children try to snuggle and nurse while an older child wanders around the room talking at best or lies on the floor screaming.

First children take leisurely cozy baths with a variety of toys to choose from and enjoy.
Second children get tossed into someone else's bath water and just suck on a wash cloth when they can't reach all of the hoarded toys.

First children are funny.
Second children will do anything for a laugh.

First children recoil in horror when told to go ask for more ketchup at McDonald's, or pack up their belongings in college so that they can move out, or request an extra water cup from the snack bar at Target so that their child can have a cup for popcorn.
Second children grab the first children by the hand, drag them along, and just get that shit done.



3 comments:

  1. Very, very funny and so autobiographical! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second children post hideous pictures of their older sister to get even for any perceived ills from a thirty year period.


    Remember the times I paved the way for us? Remember when we rode to school together on your first day of high school? Remember staying with me in my freshman dorm room when the only thing I could find for us to do was to CHECK OUT A GIRL'S PET HAMSTER IN THE BASEMENT? You owed me asking for that cup in the Target snack bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I posted that picture because I look really good in it and you look hideous. I will soon be sending it to Tyra Banks as my grand entry into the modeling world.

      Thank God you paved the way! Woo! Made my life a hell of a lot easier. I've always said that. I even said yesterday that I'm glad you had kids first to pave the way on parenting. Well done old chap.

      Remember when I didn't have any friends my freshman year.. ahem... all of college... and you took care of me? And picked me up when I almost passed out riding my bike the first weekend of college? And made me burritos? Aww... you're the best. And hey, at least I don't poop in your bathwater anymore. AmIrightoramIright?!

      Delete