Thursday, July 13, 2017

Olive, Queen of the Cats

I remember now why I quit blogging... because writing a post is near impossible if it is not five in the morning. I do miss those early mornings. All was so still and quiet and right with the world when I had a hot cup of coffee and a few moments to just write.

Oh, I'm sorry! Perhaps you don't know that the New Jan Brady was eaten. Yeah, she quit working out, and traded vegetables for ice cream and beer. Needless to say, she sleeps in now. 

Now it is almost 8 pm. Kids are tucked into bed and the kitchen is clean. Chris is watering the lawn. I want to write but I'm tired.

Our cat, Max, died recently which has left Olive as the sole pet. Max was the dominant cat and since his death, we have seen much more of Olive. She was never allowed (by Max) to spend the night in the master bed so she has been giddy about her new status. I've spent the last few nights being awakened every hour to a little clawed paw tapping me on the shoulder. I awake, open my eyes, and spot Olive's wide eyes shining back at me. I think she is just excited to still be in the bed and making sure I know it. I'll pet her (or make a grumpy noise and pull the sheets over my head which is always a mistake as she is persistent) and then she settles back down, resetting her internal alarm clock for one hour later. And I spend the night tossing and turning and greet the next day exhausted.

This morning Nils discovered a roll of banner paper. And then I discovered Nils with a handful of Sharpies in various colors and banner paper spread across the kitchen. He looked up innocently from his work and declared, "I'm making a water slide for my stuffed animals." Oh, that guy. So I let him continue on crafting. I hope his stuffed animals have a great time.

The summer is moving right along. Yesterday included a trip to the library and lunch with some of our favorite people. We went to the dollar movie this morning and have plans for seeing great friends tomorrow. For now, I'm tired. And Olive is already in our bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment