Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Hey There, Hi There, Ho There!

I find it beyond bizarre that children's Halloween costumes in any given store in Texas are made of fleece (or other warm fuzzy fabrics), long sleeved, and typically hooded. Does it not seem beneficial to Wal-Mart, Target, Babies R Us, etc. to cater clothing to climates? I simply cannot get my mind around it. What parent in their right mind is going to send their child out Trick Or Treating wearing what is basically a snowsuit in Texas?

Getting Carolena some school clothes back in August put me in the same dilemma... what Texan wears anything long sleeved before December?!

That was Dilemma Numero Uno.

Dilemma Numero Dos: Carolena has two days to wear her Halloween costume. She is going to wear it for a friend's birthday party and then again on Oct. 31st. Why on earth would I spend a million dollars on a snow suit for my child to put on, decide it's too hot, and then promptly take it off? Twice.

So, I started brainstorming. What is something that Carolena would love to wear? What is something that would be comfortable for a two year old to run around in?  What's something that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg?

And after brainstorming and searching through my craft supplies so that I could use things I have on hand I came home from the store and compiled all of this:

 
Then, I turned my $7.45 into this:

 

Carolena and I are both giddy about how her Mouseketeer shirt turned out. She is so excited about it I finally had to hide it away (because, let's face it, it's a white shirt - it will be stained after one wear). The best part about her costume? After Halloween she can still wear it whenever she wants! Oh, and I got to use some of my overflowing creativity for something productive rather than knitting 5,000 hats that no one is buying... but that last part is neither here nor there... and think of those five remaining white t-shirts just crying out for decoration!

2 comments:

  1. perfect...and I like how you managed to make the Mickey Mouse silhouette look like Mickey Mouse and not Ricky Rodent. Atta girl! I love that you are creative.

    ReplyDelete